Young poets: get ready to takeover!
Throughout May 2020, South Australian students in years 4 to 11 are invited to participate in the History Trust’s first ever online poetry challenge.
During May 2020, the History Trust of South Australia invite’s young people to take inspiration from the collections that the History Trust and other museums and galleries hold on behalf of South Australia. We encourage them to engage with objects, think creatively, connect those thoughts to the theme ‘change’ and then develop a poem of any kind.
Submit your poem in writing, or as an audio or video file, along with a picture of the object that inspired you. The History Trust will share the poems in their Poetry Gallery and on the History Festival Poetry Takeover Facebook page. Be sure to tell your family and friends to read your poem online and take part in the Community Choice voting in June.
How to enter
- Choose an object or artwork that you love! It could be a work that makes you feel something or maybe you’re excited by the colour, texture, form, or content of the work. Pick anything that draws you to it. Start here with the Resources Page.
- Develop a poem inspired by the object and relating to the theme ‘change’. Think about the different kinds of poetry: It could be a haiku, a limerick, free verse (no rules!), spoken word/slam, a sonnet, anything!
- Submit your poem and object image from 1-31 May 2020 on our Submissions Page.The Poetry Takeover is open to anyone in South Australia in years 4-11.
What to submit
- Your poem: written (up to 25 lines) or recorded audio/video (up to 3 minutes).
- An image of your chosen object. Ensure you acknowledge the source of your object image. If you include music in audio/video entries, please ensure it is copyright-free.
Entries open on Friday 1 May and close 5 pm Sunday 31 May 2020.
Download the information packs for Museums & Schools.